Stoneleigh (St John’s) Scout and Guide Headquarters (to give it its formal name), was built in 1957 after more than ten years of fundraising by the parents and supporters of the Scout and Guide units of the area. At the time the building cost some £3,850, around half of our current annual maintenance budget! Today the building is home to the 2nd Stoneleigh Scout Group (Scouts, Cubs & Beavers) the 1st Stoneleigh Rainbows, the 1st & 5th Stoneleigh Brownies, the 1st Stoneleigh Guides, and Epsom Division Rangers.

The Hall is held in trust by the Scout Association and managed by the ‘Hall Committee’, primarily Leaders of the Scout & Guide groups plus a few ‘ex’ parents who continue to provide support. The Committee are always keen to identify support, either financial or practical, for their work – more details on the funding page.

We have recently pulled together documents, photos etc about the HQ that were stored in a variety of places and, in due course, we will copy these and make them available on our website. The originals will be stored at the County Records Office at Woking (far safer than in our wooden huts!). As this copying work progresses there will be materials on our archives page (transcriptions of documents) and in the archives gallery (copies of photos, cuttings and documents.) From these documents and other sources we have compiled a timeline of historical waypoints in the life of the HQ.

Most of the material we have relates to the original construction of the main hall in 1955, or the Ranger Hut in 1969. We have nothing about the ‘back hut’ in the early/mid 60’s, nor the various minor changes to the kitchen, heating, Scouters’ room etc over the years. If you have any documents or photos to do with the HQ at any stage, we’d welcome the opportunity to copy them. Just email us and we’ll arrange collection and return.